Are you interested in being part of a new pilot project looking at the vital role health professionals can play in protecting patients against air pollution?
Air pollution is a public health emergency, causing over 36,000 deaths and more than 20,000 respiratory and cardiovascular hospital admissions every year in the UK. As some of the most trusted messengers in society, health professionals can play a crucial role in protecting people’s health from air pollution, and in influencing behaviours to address the problem.
A NATIONAL APPROACH
We’re looking for respiratory and paediatric health professionals to become Clean Air Champions as part of a two-month demonstrator project to explore where and how you could incorporate advice on air pollution into the patient pathway. We’re aiming to develop an approach that could be implemented nationally.
To start the project, we’re holding workshops in which we’ll cover the following topics:
- The health impacts of air pollution, and what patients can do to protect their health
- Approaches to sharing this knowledge, and advising your patients about air pollution
- How to increase your impact by sharing this project within your organisation, and
enabling colleagues to give air pollution advice to their patients
We’re pleased to be welcoming two leading specialists to our London-based workshops (dates below). In our London ‘Respiratory workshop’ we’ll be joined by Professor Stephen Holgate, the Royal College of Physicians’ Special Adviser on Air Pollution, while Professor Jonathan Grigg, former Research lead of the British Paediatric Respiratory Society and Vice-Chair of the Royal College of Physicians’ working party on air pollution will join our ‘Paediatric Workshop’.
SHARING WITH PATIENTS AND COLLEAGUES
Following the workshop, we invite you to take part in a 2-month trial to gather information on the best ways to share air pollution advice with your patient groups.
We’re holding four separate workshops in London and Liverpool, and you only need to come to one to get involved! Sign up and find out more using the links below:
- Thursday 27 February 2020, 10.00–13.00, BMA House, London (with Professor Stephen Holgate)
- Monday 9 March 2020, 14.00–17.00, RCP North, Liverpool
- Monday 2 March 2020, 10.00–13.00, BMA House, London (with Professor Jonathon Grigg)
- Wednesday 18 March 2020, 14.00–17.00, RCP North, Liverpool
We look forward to working with you on this exciting project!
If you’re not a respiratory specialist, but you’re interested in being part of this project, please email: [email protected]
This project is jointly run by the UK Health Alliance on Climate Change and Global Action Plan, and is funded by DEFRA and the Clean Air Fund.