The Small Print
Flickers of the Future Terms and Conditions.
1. SUBMISSION DEADLINE EXTENSION: The Competition is open for entries from 7th October 2019- 5th January 2020
2. 30 competition entries will be shortlisted by mid-February 2020. These 30 entries will be invited to an Inspiration Session on 28th February 2020 with film industry experts
3. The top 30 will have the opportunity to refine and re-submit their entry to include learnings from the Inspiration session: resubmitted by end of March
4. The five finalists will be chosen in the first week of April. They will be mentored and guided by our Expert Panel to develop a more detailed treatment for submission by end of April 2020.
5. The winner will be announced end of April 2020.
6. Pre-production will begin in May.
General terms and conditions
1. In all cases, the entrant will be bound by the competition Terms and Conditions. In the event that any entrant does not, or is unable to, comply with and meet these terms and conditions and the competition information, Global Action Plan shall be entitled at its sole discretion to disqualify such entrant, without any further liability to such entrant. In these circumstances, any funding won by the entrant may be forfeited and Global Action Plan reserves the right to reclaim any funding already distributed to the entrant
2. Competition is run by Global Action Plan of 201 Borough High St, London SE1 1JA.
3. Competition is open to anyone in the UK aged 18 to 29. Global Action Plan assumes that by entering the competition you are the appropriate age to enter.
4. To enter the Competition, you must upload a one page treatment and supporting material (either film clip or mood board) via the Flickers of the Future online submission page, and include your full name, email address and a project title. Global Action Plan will not be liable to reimburse expenses incurred in making an entry in any competition. Global Action Plan cannot take responsibility for any loss or damage to content or such content's delivery materials, so you will be sending your delivery materials at your own risk.
5. Any entries which are incomplete, incorrect, inaudible, incomprehensible, or not received by Global Action Plan will be void.
6. Flickers of the Future is not open to employees or members of Global Action Plan.
7. Entrants must be available in the UK for the duration of the shortlisting period. (In the event that your entry is shortlisted, you will be required to attend workshops with our Expert Panel in the UK between January and March 2020) Entrants must be available to live and work in the UK for the two years following the competition winner announcement (2020,2021)
8. The Competition is open to everyone interested in film-making (not a requirement to be studying film). You cannot enter film concepts that have been produced elsewhere.
9. You may enter as many concepts as you wish but they must be submitted separately.
10. The closing date is 23:59pm 5th January 2020. Entries received after this time will not be accepted. Global Action Plan reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time. Shortlisted finalists will be notified by phone or e-mail and their name and Project title will be published on the Flickers of the Future website.
11. You can find out who has been shortlisted after the closing date by visiting our website.
12. The judges' decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. By entering the competition, the shortlisted finalists agree to participate in such promotional activity and publicity material as Global Action Plan may require.
The Competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and entrants to the Competition submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Privacy, publicity and license
2. Global Action Plan may pass entrants’ details to third parties and/or otherwise engage third party providers in connection with this Competition where the third party is acting on GAP’s behalf for the purposes of administering this Competition and/or any subsequent publicity, and/or as otherwise required by law.
3. It is intended that the winner will have the option to negotiate a joint production agreement where £100,000 will be invested in collaboration with Global Action Plan subject to a separate agreement with the winner, Global Action Plan and others as necessary.
4. By submitting an entry to the Competition, You grant Global Action Plan:
a) If your entry is shortlised: Permission for a minimum period of 12 months for your entry to be published on Global Action Plan websites including but not limited to globalactionplan.org.uk and on any social media account controlled by GAP, including but not limited to Facebook and Instagram accounts, and you grant GAP a non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual licence (with a right to sub-license) to use, host, reproduce, edit, publish, distribute, transmit and otherwise make use of the content or part thereof in any and all media and means of distribution now known or hereafter devised, including but not limited to website, television, television video on demand, multimedia distribution systems, the internet and mobile applications - use any trade marks, service marks or trade names (e.g. brand names, logos) incorporated in the content; and use the name and likeness of any individuals represented in the content.
b) The right to use your name for the sole purpose of identifying you as a shortlisted applicant/or as a winner in the Competition.
5. You own the copyright to your competition entry as its author. Your entry must be your own work, must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use, must not include any trade marks, and must not show inappropriate or dangerous behaviour, or otherwise be obscene, defamatory, distasteful, offensive, or in breach of any applicable law or regulation, or in breach of any confidentiality obligations owed by you to third parties. If GAP has reason to believe your entry is not your own work or otherwise breaches these terms and conditions, then GAP may not consider it and may disqualify it.
6. Entrants confirm that each individual who is featured in the Competition entry has given consent for the use of his/her image in connection with this Competition and in accordance with these terms and conditions.
7. You agree to waive all so-called "moral rights" to the content. (This is so we can, for example, showcase excerpts of your film alongside excerpts of other filmmakers' entries for promotions at a later date). You undertake to execute, or ensure the execution of, whatever further documents Global Action Plan requires from time to time for the purpose of giving Global Action Plan the full benefit of this licence if your film is selected for the shortlist.
8. You will make sure that any necessary consent, waiver, clearance, licence or approval required for Flickers of the Future to make use of the content has been obtained and that any fees or payments relating thereto have been paid; and you have not entered into, nor will you enter into, any agreement or arrangement which could conflict with your obligations to Flickers of the Future under these terms and conditions.
9. Entrants must not contact, or try to contact, the Judges in any way in connection with the Competition, or otherwise try to influence the Judges’ selection of the winners. The Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
1. The funding is not transferable to another person.
2. No part of the funding is exchangeable for cash or any other prize. The £100k funding is not considered prizemoney. It must be used as a production fund to create the piece of work commissioned by Global Action Plan. Any remainder will not be exchangeable as prize money.
3. The Shortlisted finalists will receive guidance and support from our expert panel through a series of workshop style events in which participants will work with the expert panel on developing their treatment for submission as a finalist.
4. Global Action Plan reserve the right in its sole discretion to withhold delivery of the funding until such proof of eligibility and identity has been confirmed or if such proof is not produced on request or to disqualify the entrant from the competition.
5. In the event that the Flickers of the future Judging Panel deem no entries to meet the competition judging criteria and the level of innovation considered to be essential to this project, Global Action Plan reserve the right to withhold allocation of £100,000 production funding to any of the entrants to the Flickers of the Future competition.
1. Global Action Plan reserves the right to disqualify any entrant it has reasonable grounds to believe has breached any of the rules of the competition.
2. In the event that any entrant is disqualified from the competition, Global Action Plan at its sole discretion may decide whether a replacement should be selected. In this event, any further entrant will be selected on the same criteria as the original entrant and will be subject to these Rules.
3. Global Action Plan reserves the right to amend these rules at any time. If we do this we will publish the amended competition rules on the Flickers of the Future website.
1. You hereby indemnify Global Action Plan against any claims arising out of or in connection to any content, including but not limited to a claim arising out of or in connection to a breach of any of the warranties set out above.
1. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall exclude or limit Global Action Plans liability for death or personal injury caused by their staff or supplier’s negligence or for fraud. Subject to this, Global Action Plan cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the competition or as a result of accepting guidance from our Expert Panel or from receiving funding.
2. Global Action Plan reserves the right to modify, cancel, terminate or suspend the Competition in whole or in part, at its sole discretion, if it believes the Competition is not capable of being conducted as specified in these terms and conditions or in the event of a virus, computer bug or unauthorised human intervention or any other cause that is beyond the reasonable control of Global Action Plan that could corrupt or affect the administration, security, impartiality, or normal course of the Competition.
If you have any questions about how to enter or in connection with the Competition, please e-mail [email protected] with “Flickers of the Future Application Question” in the subject line.
These terms and conditions were last updated on 12 December 2019