Brentford Together Events
We're running workshops that teach sewing, cooking, bike maintenance, fitness, first aid and gardening.
To make sure we can continue to offer our free workshops, we are now running our sessions through both Zoom and Facebook Live, providing tips and ideas for making the most of the time in isolation and a space to chat and meet others.
Our workshops will include cooking, sewing, bike maintenance, first aid and gardening. Join the Facebook page or keep an eye on the website for details of each session. For any queries, please contact us at [email protected].
Workshop sessions are currently taking place weekly, with Sewing on Tuesdays, Gardening on Wednesdays, Cooking on Thursdays, Bike Maintenance on Fridays and First Aid and Fitness on Saturdays. See below for more information on each of the sessions.
For those new to Zoom and online workshops, we have a handy guide explaining how to join in here.
Sara Ward welcomes you to Hen Corner, her Urban Smallholding in West London, every Thursday. With supermarket shelves empty and home delivery unable to accept new customers, ensuring that we are well fed has never been as important as it is now. Be that learning new skills, foraging in the back of the cupboard, fridge and freezer or simply getting creative with the ingredients, Sara is here to help.
Due to COVID-19 sessions going forward are being held by video conference. Please click the link by the session to register and get joining details.
- Thursday 16 April 2020, 10:00 am: Cooking Together for Families - Soup for supper and the freezer
- Thursday 16 April 2020, 11:30 am: Cooking Together for Adults - Soup for supper and the freezer
- Thursday 23 April 2020, 10:00 am: Cooking Together for Families - Simple Soda Bread
- Thursday 23 April 2020, 11:30 am: Cooking Together for Adults - Simple Soda Bread
- Thursday 30 April 2020, 10:00 am: Cooking Together - Vegetarian Lasagne
- Thursday 7th May 2020, 10:00 am: Cooking Together - Flour Tortilla for Fajitas and Wraps
- Thursday 14th May 2020, 10:00 am: Cooking Together - Roasting vegetables for mains, salads and sides
- Thursday 21st May 2020, 10:00 am: Cooking Together - Home made pizza
- Thursday 28th May 2020, 10:00 am: Cooking Together - Perfect Paella
- Thursday 4th June 2020, 10:00 am: Cooking Together - Dips: hummus, baba ganoush, tzatziki
- Thursday 11th June 2020, 10:00 am: Cooking Together - Fermenting vegetables - the natural way to pickle
- Thursday 18th June 2020, 10:00 am: Cooking Together - Strawberry Jam
- Thursday 25th June 2020, 10:00 am: Cooking Together - Summer Scones
Sara has prepared some additional videos on cooking tips for you to watch and will be adding more each week.
Bike repair and maintenance
The aim of the virtual Dr Bike sessions is to give dormant cyclists the necessary advice to repair their bicycles and to ensure that they are fit to ride safety on the road. The sessions will cover - checking your bike, how to repair punctures, adjust brakes, gears and removing rust.
Due to COVID-19 sessions going forward are being held by online. Online bike repair and maintenance sessions will be taking place on Fridays, from 14:00-15:00 and will be livestreamed on Facebook.
- Friday 10th April 2020, 14:00 - Bike Qui, ‘M’-Checks and understand the basic level of health of your bike
- Friday 17th April 2020, 14:00 - How to repair a puncture - includes removing the wheel, tyre and inner tube
- Friday 24th April 2020, 14:00 - Brakes - It’s all about the Brakes, we all need them, and we can’t do without them
- Friday 1st May 2020, 14:00 - Gears - Time to gear up, in this session I’ll show how to adjust and index your gears
- Friday 8th May 2020, 14:00 - Lubrication – in this session I’ll show how to lubricate your bike and how to get rid of unwanted rust, which can impede the operation of your bike
- Friday 15th May 2020, 14:00 - Basic Maintenance & Cleaning. I’m a firm believer that if you look after your bike it will look after you. I’ll show some of the routine task that you should be doing weekly, monthly and yearly so that you have a trouble-free ride.
Mary from the Brentford Sewing Bee will be running free classes on basic sewing skills and creative clothing projects. These will be broadcast on Facebook Live where she will answer questions and offer tips on simple clothing repairs and sewing creations.
Due to COVID-19 sessions going forward are being held online.
Our next sessions will take place on Tuesdays, 18:00-19:00 and will be livestreamed on Facebook.
- Tuesday 7th April 18:00 - Spring Cleaning & Clearing (making do and mending; restyle, restore and recycle)
- Tuesday 14th April 18:00 - Change & Create Sustainable Sewing (repair & reline jackets and jeans; zigzag seams & stitch in new zips)
- Tuesday 21 April 18:00 - Articles for Alteration: Hems & Home (garden gear & working wardrobe; remodel & restitch charity > couture)
- Tuesday 28 April 18:00 - Craft & create, measure & make (design & dressmaker, tailor & tools; prepare, patterns, fabric & fashion)
- Tuesday 5 May 18:00 - TBC
- Tuesday 12 May 18:00 - TBC
Fitness and First Aid
Tania Cheney is the founder of Simple First Aid, an organisation which teaches life-saving first aid skills. Simple First Aid's training is primarily focused on providing parents with first aid skills to help babies and children. Simple First Aid believes that everyone should have the opportunity to learn simple first aid life-saving skills giving them the confidence to deal with a real-life first aid emergency.
Tania is regarded as an expert speaker, and she has participated in baby shows in London, Manchester, Birmingham and Scotland to advise on first aid for babies and children. The Red Cross Movement has presented Tania with their highest award for her work with them.
Due to COVID-19 sessions going forward are being held by online. Online fitness and first aid sessions will be taking place on Saturdays, from 19:00-20:00 and will be livestreamed on Facebook.
Upcoming events: A weekly stretch session with simple first aid
A 25 minute head to toe stretching session for people who have limited mobility, but anyone can join, including a different first aid topic each week.
- Saturday 18th April 2020, 19:00 - Stretch + bleeding
- Saturday 25th April 2020, 19:00 - Stretch + Choking
- Saturday 2nd May 2020, 19:00 - Stretch + Severe allergic reaction
- Saturday 9th May 2020, 19:00 - Strech + CPR
- Saturday 16th May 2020, 19:00 - Stretch + Heart attacks and angina
Gardening & Growing Food
A how to series on getting your garden growing. Blog posts will be going up on Fridays and there will be follow up Q&A sessions on Wednesdays and some how to videos will be coming up in between.
The sessions will look at ways to avoid unnecessary use of chemicals or plastics, looking at recycling and upcycling materials for planting, some crafty exercises )great to get your kids involved).
Weekly Q&A's will be taking place live on facebook:
- Wednesday 29th April, 3:00pm - 3:30pm - Moving into spring
- Wednesday 6th May, 3:00pm - 3:30pm - Re-cycling in the garden
- Wednesday 13th May, 3:00pm - 3:30pm - Re-cycling in the garden
- Wednesday 20th May, 3:00pm - 3:30pm - Re-cycling in the garden
- Wednesday 27th May, 3:00pm - 3:30pm - Re-cycling in the garden
- Wednesday 3rd June, 3:00pm - 3:30pm - Gathering from the garden
- Wednesday 10th June, 3:00pm - 3:30pm - Gathering from the garden
- Wednesday 17th June, 3:00pm - 3:30pm - Gathering from the garden
Sharon lives locally and is a fashion designer who loves all arts and crafts. She has a real love for knitting. Sharon teaches knitting to beginners and is so excited to start this new online workshop. We really hope you will enjoy learning!
Due to COVID-19 sessions going forward are being held by online. Online knitting sessions will be taking place on Wednesdays, from 13:00-14:00 and will be livestreamed on Facebook.
- Wednesday 6th May 2020, 13:00 - 14:00
- Wednesday 13th May 2020, 13:00 - 14:00
- Wednesday 20th May 2020, 13:00 - 14:00
- Wednesday 27th May 2020, 13:00 - 14:00
Run a session
If you have a particular skill (whether that be anything from woodwork to meditation to baking) and would like to share this with the local community by running a session or two as part of this project, we would love to hear from you!
Please email [email protected] or call us on 07947 885 374 for details.
Thank you for supporting our work
Please provide your details to download our free resources
All our resources are free to download. We’re asking people to complete this form in order for us to
understand who is using our materials, so that we can continue to improve them.
We hope you find our resources usefulClick here to download your file
We’ll send you emails keeping you up to date with what we’re doing, the difference we’re making, and how you can get involved and support our activities.