Global Action Plan
Global Action Plan
We are a different kind of environmental organisation. We focus on people and how they can take practical action in their everyday lives for a better world.
Global Action Plan first began in the Netherlands and the United States following the Rio Earth Summit. The summit inspired an American called David Gershon to create an organisation to involve everyday people in creating solutions to environmental problems.
Helping since 1993
This inspiring idea spread and Global Action Plan was launched in the UK in 1993 by Trewin Restorick, our CEO (registered charity number 1026148)
Trewin launched our first programme with an amazing 30,000 households, supported by thousands of volunteers, who received practical information on how to use energy efficiently, reduce waste, cut water use and shop ethically.
Today our framework for change helps thousands of people and organisations make environmental and financial savings.
Watch our video about our Ashden Award-winning communications.
An approach that's proven to work
Our supportive, structured approach tailors projects to the priorities and cultures of individual communities.
Our programmes have social and environmental benefits, are proven to work, and are United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) endorsed.
Reducing environmental impacts
Our programmes reduce environmental impacts in a number of ways:
- Practical change and activities which make a real difference.
- Working across different areas of sustainability including food, energy, water, and waste.
- All programmes are measured and reported on to show the quantifiable impact we're making.
- Achieving shifts in behaviour to ensure that effects are permanent and long-lasting.
- Bringing fresh thinking to your activities, so you can build on what's in place or start something new.